Food poisoning, also referred foodborne illness is the result of eating contaminated, spoiled, or toxic food as well as chemical or natural toxins such as poisonous mushrooms. Contamination can also occur at home if food is incorrectly handled or cooked. Infectious organisms including bacteria, viruses and parasites or their toxins are the most common causes of food poisoning.
Symptoms of Food poisoning
- Diarrhea (sometimes bloody)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain and/or cramping
- Malaise (general uneasiness)
What to do after Food poisoning?
If you have food poisoning then avoid drink and food altogether for a few hours. Vomiting and Diarrhea can cause dehydration so drinking small sips of water is a good. Sucking on ice chips can prevent from dehydration. Other suggested liquids are sodas, vegetable broth and decaffeinated tea.
When you feel you can eat something than eat stick to bland, low-fat, low-fiber foods. Do not eat fatty food that will be harder for your stomach to digest. Foods that you can eat are :
- Egg Whites
- Peanut Butter
What foods and drinks you should avoid?
- dairy products that have high lactose
- Spicy or Fatty Foods
- Foods with High Fiber
- Alcohol and Caffeine
- Apple and Pear Juices
- Fried foods
- Seasoned foods
Food poisoning can be resolves at home within two days without treatment. But in some cases people need to go to the clinic. Also remember to avoid any oral over-the-counter diarrhea medications. The best way to prevent food poisoning is to handle your food safely, always wash your hand before cooking, make sure that food are in good condition.